以下为此文英文原文：China hits back at US claim it reneged on trade talks
China has struck back at US accusations that it reneged on trade commitments, saying it was Washington that repeatedly tried to change the terms of the negotiations midway through the talks.
In its first detailed explanation of the failure of the discussions, China’s foreign ministry on Tuesday accused Washington of trying to force Beijing to suddenly increase the volume of goods it was willing to buy from the US as part of an agreement, violating terms struck in December.
The US “arbitrarily raised its asking price”, said a spokesman for the foreign ministry. “The hat that . . . violates promises is absolutely not on the Chinese head.”
Washington launched the latest salvo in the dispute on Friday when it increased duties on $200bn of Chinese imports to 25 per cent and later set in motion a plan to do the same with a further $300bn of goods.
China responded by announcing on Monday it would impose tariffs on $60bn of US imports starting on June 1, sending stocks in the US sharply lower on Monday with the Asia-Pacific indices following suit a day later.
Beijing followed up with a barrage of nationalist commentary on official media designed to shore up support at home for a protracted battle with Washington.
A fiery dispatch on state broadcaster CCTV’s evening news programme went viral on Weibo, China’s largest social media platform, on Monday night and a hashtag for the clip had been viewed more than 3bn times.
“After 5,000 years of trials and tribulations, what kind of battle have the Chinese people not been through?” said Kang Hui, a news reader. “The US-started trade war against China is not more than an important unifying juncture in China’s development. There’s nothing to worry about. China must stand firm, be confident and rise through hardships.”
The foreign ministry spokesman in Beijing on Tuesday said the US had reneged on a joint consensus last May.