香港市民游行抗议《逃犯条例》

英国《金融时报》 Nicolle Liu 香港报道
2019.06.10 12:00

数十万香港市民周日走上街头,抗议政府的《逃犯条例》。批评人士担心,该引渡法案将让中国内地当局能在这个特别行政区抓捕嫌疑人,并将其送到内地审判。

警方表示有24万人参加游行,但组织者声称至少有100万人游行,这将使其成为自1997年英国将香港移交给中国以来在这个特别行政区爆发的最大规模抗议活动。

此次游行几天前,有多达18万人参加一个烛光守夜活动,以纪念1989年天安门广场武力清场的受害者。组织者利用那次活动号召市民参加周日的游行。

许多抗议者携带黄色雨伞(2014年大规模民主抗议的符号),上面印着“撑自由”口号。

“我们有责任表明态度。《逃犯条例》正在影响香港的未来,”50岁的抗议者Jenny Cheung表示。她说,她担心该法案会导致外国企业和资本离开香港。

“政府根本就没有听取市民的意见,”36岁的Jackie Tang表示。他以前从未参加抗议活动。

40岁的Kulam Tseng表示,他担心示威活动无济于事。“我不认为这会有效,但它仍然是我们需要做的事情。”

《逃犯条例》将允许中国引渡在香港居住或过境、涉嫌犯罪的任何人。该法案受到商业团体和外国政府的谴责。美国、英国和加拿大公开表达关切,而欧盟发出正式的外交照会表示抗议。

在上月的联合声明中,英国外交大臣杰里米•亨特(Jeremy Hunt)和加拿大外长克里斯蒂娅•弗里兰(Chrystia Freeland)对在香港的英国和加拿大公民以及香港的商业信心和国际声誉可能受到的影响表示担忧。

作为回应,中国外交部驻港特派员公署指责英国和加拿大干涉香港的立法程序。

针对市民反对,香港政府已经略微调整了《逃犯条例》草案。它提高了引渡门槛——从被告面临三年监禁提高至七年监禁,并提议只接受境外最高检察机关的引渡请求。

但是,大赦国际(Amnesty International)、人权监察(Human Rights Monitor)和人权观察(Human Rights Watch)在一份联合声明中辩称,最新提出的保障措施“不太可能提供真正且有效的保护”。

政府上月宣布,拟在香港立法会走快速程序推动通过该法案。最终投票表决的日期尚未确定,但政府已表示,它希望立法会最迟在7月通过该法案。香港立法会主要由亲北京的立法者控制。

政府发言人在回应市民游行时表示:“我们呼吁立法会以平和、理性及尊重的态度去审议《条例草案》,以确保香港继续是一个适合居住及营商的安全城市。”

在游行开始前,政府周日发表声明,反驳了外界对于商业信心和个人自由可能受到影响的担忧。

声明中表示,说《条例草案》将以某种方式影响、干预集会、新闻、言论、学术自由或出版自由,或者产生寒蝉效应,或者会牵扯政治罪行,都是不正确的说法。

吴爱莉(Alice Woodhouse)补充报道

译者/何黎

原文:Hong Kong marchers fill the streets in protest at extradition bill

By Nicolle Liu in Hong Kong

Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets of Hong Kong on Sunday in protest at the government’s extradition bill that critics fear would allow China to seize suspects in the territory and face trial on the mainland.

Police said 240,000 people took part but organisers claimed that at least 1m marched, which would make it the largest protest in the semi-autonomous region since the UK handed over Hong Kong to China in 1997.

The march was held just days after up to 180,000 attended a candlelit vigil to commemorate the victims of the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989. Organisers used that vigil to drum up support for Sunday’s march.

Many of the protesters carried yellow umbrellas, a symbol of the mass democracy protests in 2014, emblazoned with slogans to “support freedom”.

“We have the responsibility to speak up. The extradition law is affecting Hong Kong’s future,” said Jenny Cheung, a 50-year-old protester who said she worried that the bill would result in foreign businesses and capital leaving Hong Kong.

“The government is not listening to the people at all,” said Jackie Tang, a 36-year-old who had never previously joined a protest.

Kulam Tseng, 40, said he feared the demonstration would achieve nothing. “I don’t think this will be effective, but it’s still something we need to do.”

The bill, which allows China to extradite anyone living or passing through the territory suspected of a criminal offence, has been condemned by business groups and foreign governments. The US, UK and Canada have publicly expressed concern, while the European Union has issued a formal diplomatic “démarche” protest note.

In a joint statement last month, UK foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt and Chrystia Freeland, Canada’s minister of foreign affairs, expressed concern at the potential impact on UK and Canadian citizens in Hong Kong, business confidence and Hong Kong’s international reputation.

China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs Office in Hong Kong responded by accusing the UK and Canada of “interfering in the legislative process of Hong Kong”.

In response to the outcry, the Hong Kong government has tweaked the proposals. It lifted the minimum sentencing threshold an accused must face before being eligible for extradition from three years to seven years imprisonment, and proposed that only extradition requests from the highest overseas prosecuting authorities would be accepted.

But in a joint statement, Amnesty International, Human Rights Monitor and Human Rights Watch argued that the latest proposed safeguards were “unlikely to provide genuine and effective protection”.

The government announced last month that it intended to fast-track the bill through Hong Kong’s legislative council. No date has been set for the final vote but the government has said it wants the council, which is mainly controlled by pro-Beijing lawmakers, to pass the bill by July.

In response to the march, a government spokesperson said: “We urge the legislative Council to scrutinise the bill in a calm, reasonable and respectful manner to help ensure Hong Kong remains a safe city for residents and business.”

Ahead of the march, the government issued a statement on Sunday rejecting concerns about the impact on business confidence and personal freedom.

“It is not correct to state or imply that the proposal will in any way impact on, interfere with, or have a chilling effect on the freedom of assembly, of the press, of speech, of academic freedom or publication, or relate to offences of a political nature,” it said.

Additional reporting by Alice Woodhouse

发帖时间: news

发表评论

电子邮件地址不会被公开。